Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Missions Experience...

My husband signed my family up for participating in the missions night at the Kentucky District Council for the Assemblies of God.... (I think that is what it is called) Anyways, we, and many others from our church took a trip to Louisville last night to participate in the nights "mission experience". We dressed as Muslim men and women and simulated a marketplace full of food, incense, snakes, goat heads, rotting fish and the list goes on. My job was to put hats and scarfs on the men and women who were coming through. I had to tell them to cover their heads and if they did not, I had to say, "have you no shame?" There were a few older women who had spent much time on their hair and they made it perfectly clear to me that they did not want this on their head! I had been instructed to stay in character and keep pushing them to cover themselves. Joel's job was to sell our children.... he held Jesslyn and tried to sell her for the going rate which is $90. Then, after everyone had come through the market, we all went up on stage and did the Muslim call to prayer. It was very creepy and hard to do. Then, we had to simulate a Death to America rally which was even more hard to do. It was really an eye opener for me. The reason we did this was to remind people that God loves these Muslim nations and the Muslim people and that there are few missionaries reaching these areas of the world. For me, it is hard to remember that God does love them, even the radicals. I really enjoyed getting to be a part of this experience but I am also thanking God that I live here in the greatest country ever. ( and that God has called me to live here and not anywhere else!) I am also glad my kids were able to participate. I know we will be answering questions for many days about it but I think it is good for them to know that there are a lot of different kinds of people and lots of different kinds of ways that people live.... and God loves us all.

No comments: