Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sorrow is better? What?!

Sorrow is better than laughter, for by sadness of face the heart is made glad.
Ecclesiastes 7:3

Thinking a lot about this verse lately. I believe it to be true. My footnotes say - Bereavement, while painful, is a more effective prod to growth in spiritual wisdom and maturity than the elation one feels over a newborn child.- what a statement. Looking back on my life, I understand this completely. Those times that are tough, sad, and awful, are usually the times in our lives that we grow and are stretched the most. I am actually thankful for those times. Thankful to know that sorrow is actually better than a discontented heart. I hope and pray that even when life is hard or things really stink- that my sorrow helps me become better- and that my heart is never discontent.

I actually really love the book of Ecclesiastes. Lots of great stuff in there.

No comments: