Sunday, December 20, 2009

This upcoming week....

I am really looking forward to this week leading up to Christmas. Even though Joel will be working 12 hour days, 9 days straight, the girls and I make the most of it and keep busy with our own little holiday traditions. Here is a few things we always do...
1. make my Grandma Betty's sugar cookies... Jesslyn overloads on sprinkles.
2. decorate gingerbread houses!
3. drive around looking at Christmas lights.
4. they always get new jammies for Christmas eve and open up one gift on that night.
5. we watch every Christmas movie out there..... except for the Lifetime channel ones... they drive me crazy.
6. we read through the book "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever"
7. we attend the candlelight service at church (which was today) and Santa was waiting in the foyer to give us candy!
8. we always make a batch of my aunt Roberta's white chocolate trail mix!
9. nonstop Christmas music is playing... good thing Joel is at work, he would go nuts.

I want my kids to remember these things as they get older.... and also take with them these traditions as they get older. It will be interesting to see what they keep doing as they grow into adults.

I am glad to say, I am done shopping, done wrapping, and have all the groceries for Christmas day. I plan on baking a lot with the girls this week. Should be fun, and a big mess..... and just for the record, I hate wrapping presents. It always seem so nice. I picture it in my head: music playing, candles burning, wrapping by the light of the Christmas tree.... but it is never that in reality for me. I always end up losing the tape, (usually end up sitting on it), I cut the wrong size of wrapping and have to either start all over again or try and 'patch' it up (which is tacky)... and it never looks as good as I visualize it to look. Oh well, I am done and doubt my kids will even notice.

Merry Christmas everyone... enjoy this week and the amazing reason why we celebrate this season. Remember the wise words of Linus: "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"
[Linus picks up his blanket and walks back towards Charlie Brown]
"That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."

No comments: