Friday, November 26, 2010

My First 10K

I woke up on Thanksgiving morning to the sound of massive rain hitting our roof. I was tempted to roll back over and snuggle up with Joel but decided to get my butt up and get on my running shoes. I am now glad that I had to prepay almost $50 to run this race or I have a feeling I would have rolled right on over to go back to sleep. After drinking my coconut water and eating a banana I headed out to the Bengals stadium. It was raining so hard that while I walked from my car to my stadium, I was completely soaked and once again wishing I was snuggled up in my bed. I walked into the stadium to find myself surrounded by thousands of people.. all trying to stay dry and prepare and stretch for the 6.2 miles ahead of us. We finally headed outside to the starting line and so it began. The rain had stopped by then and I was now surrounded by all kinds of people, from many walks of life, of all shapes and sizes, ready to cross the finish line. Many people were there to cheer us along the way. We ran through the city and then crossed a bridge into Kentucky and eventually made our way over another bridge back into Cincinnati. The rain held off most of the race. I could not help but hold back tears as I crossed the finish line. It was not easy for me but yet easier than I had thought it would be. It is such a great feeling to know that I have set my mind to something I thought would be impossible for me, and to push through and do it. I felt great the rest of the day. I came home to find my husband working hard in the kitchen to get Thanksgiving dinner ready to go. We sat down, just the four of us, and had a great time eating together. Then we all rested and took naps and then headed to the Hensley's house. This is a dear family we met from our previous church. We played games and laughed and had such a great time that Nevaeh has been begging me all day to go back. Even though we were not with our families today, it was truly a great day filled with love and thankfulness. It even ended with the rain turning over to snow. It was a good day indeed.

No comments: